The Teaching Council is made up of 37 members acting in a voluntary capacity as non-executive directors of the Council. Of the 22 places on the Council reserved for registered teachers, 16 are elected and six are nominated by the teacher unions.
The term of office of the current Council ends on 27 March 2012 and, in advance of that date, national elections were held in March 2012 to elect the 16 teachers to the new Council. As the number of duly nominated candidates was equal to the number of persons to be elected in a number of Electoral Categories / Panels / Geographical Constituencies, the following were declared to be elected unopposed:
- Kathleen O’Connor - Primary (Leinster - female Panel)
- Bernadine O’Sullivan - Post-primary Voluntary (Leinster – female panel)
- Christopher Maginn - Post-primary Voluntary (Leinster – male panel)
- Marie Humphries - Post-primary VEC (Leinster)
- Fergal McCarthy - Post-primary VEC (Connacht/Munster/Ulster).
As the number of duly nominated candidates was greater than the number of persons to be elected in six constituencies a poll was taken. The closing date for receipt of ballots was 20 March 2012 at 5p.m. and counting of votes took place on 22 March 2012. This resulted in the following teachers being elected:
- Dympna Mulkerrins - Primary (Dublin - female panel)
- Micheál Ó Gríofa - Primary (Dublin - male panel)
- Eimear Cole - Primary (Dublin - all candidates)
- Bríd Ní Raghallaigh - Primary (Connacht/Ulster - female panel)
- John Conlon - Primary (Connacht/Ulster - male panel)
- Milo Walsh - Primary (Leinster - male panel)
- Derbhile de Paor - Primary (Munster - female panel)
- Diarmuid Ó Murchú - Primary (Munster - male panel)
- Lily Cronin - Post-primary Voluntary (Connacht/Munster/Ulster - female panel)
- Noel Buckley - Post-primary Voluntary (Connacht/Munster/Ulster - male panel)
- Kieran Christie - Post-primary Community and Comprehensive (Ireland).
Please click here for detailed results of election.