The Council comprises these 37 members:
- 11 primary teachers, nine of whom are elected and two of whom are teacher union nominees
- 11 post-primary teachers, seven of whom are elected and four of whom are teacher union nominees
- 2 nominated by colleges of education
- 2 nominated by specified third-level bodies
- 4 nominated by school management (two primary and two post-primary)
- 2 nominated by parents' associations (one primary and one post-primary)
- 5 nominated by the Minister for Education and Skills, including one representing each of IBEC and ICTU.