FAQs burning questions

Planning a visit to the Teaching Council offices?

To maximise the quality of service, please ensure to make an appointment before you visit. For further details on making an appointment click here.

How do I apply for re-vetting?

Click here to apply for re-vetting.

What is the English Language Requirement?

See here for information on the English Language Requirement. 

In what schools/settings is Droichead the only route of induction?

Droichead is the only route of induction for NQTs in

• all Special Education Teacher (SET) settings

• large primary schools with 16 or more teachers

• large post-primary schools with 400 or more students

How do I apply as an NQT to commence the Droichead process?

Click here to access My Registration Login where you can apply to commence the Droichead process.

To find out more about Droichead click here.

When do I apply to the Teaching Council to commence the Droichead process?

Registration for Droichead in the 2018/2019 school year will open on Monday 3 September 2018

You should apply to the Teaching Council within five working days of commencing employment in a Droichead school:

• in an eligible setting and

• in an eligible post of minimum duration of at least 60 consecutive school days (in the case of primary) or a block of 200 hours (in the case of post-primary).

Do I need to include my overseas addresses when filling in my list of addresses for NVB vetting?

Yes, all addresses from birth to present are required including overseas addresses.

Click here for further information about NVB Vetting.

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher and I have sent in my application for registration. When should I apply for NVB vetting?

You need to apply immediately, you cannot be registered without a NVB vetting disclosure.

Click here for further information about NVB Vetting.

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher and I have submitted my application for registration. When should I expect to receive contact from the Teaching Council?

You will receive contact from the Teaching Council within an average of 8-10 working days from the date of receipt of the application form.

I have submitted my Form B/Form C/Form D. How long will it take to be processed?

The average time for processing of Form B, C and D is currently between 5 – 10 working days.

Please note that processing times may increase during the summer months as registration, renewals and condition volumes are particularly high during this period.

I received a letter in relation to my conditions expiring shortly. What should I do now?

If you have addressed your conditions, please submit the relevant evidentiary documentation.

If you will not be in a position to address your conditions by your expiry date, you must submit an EXT01 form to apply for an extension which can be found here.

Failure to address your conditions by your expiry date may result in your removal from the Register.

Click here for more information about Conditions.

I have just completed Droichead. What do I do now?

When your Droichead process has concluded, please complete Form D (available here) and return it together with initial email confirmation from The Teaching Council, confirming approval to commence the Droichead process.

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) but I am already registered with The Teaching Council under FE; how do I register under Primary or Post-primary?

All final year students are given a registration pack outlining the fast-track process for registration as an NQT.

If you are already FE registered, you still need to complete part of the NQT application process to update your registration to Primary or Post-primary. If you have not done so, please submit the pink consent form to your university immediately to allow the transfer of your teaching qualification to the Council after the exam boards.

You will then be issued a pre-populated NQT Registration Application Form. Please return this form in order to change your registration. You should write your registration number on the front page of the form.

For more information on registration, please click here. 

I am a registered teacher remaining with my current employer. My employer is looking for proof that I have been vetted (for retrospective vetting). What proof can I use?

The evidence acceptable to prove that you have been previously vetted for retrospective vetting can be any one of the following:

  • A screenshot from the MyRegistration Section here.
  • A National Vetting Bureau Disclosure (vetted after 29 April 2016).
  • The Teaching Council GCVU vetting result letter (vetted before 29 April 2016).

I am a registered teacher applying for a position with a new employer. My vetting result is dated prior to the introduction of NVB vetting on 29 April 2016. Do I need to update my vetting?

If you are applying for a new role you must have a National Vetting Bureau (NVB) Disclosure.

You can apply for an NVB disclosure here.

I am already registered as a post-primary teacher but wish to know how to go about qualifying to teach an additional curricular subject?

As a registered post-primary teacher, you have met the registration requirements that enable you to teach at least one post-primary curricular subject.  Employment within schools to teach subjects is a matter for individual school authorities. It is not a registration requirement to be recognised for additional subjects.

If, however, you wish to have an additional curricular subject recorded on the Register of Teachers you must demonstrate that you meet the criteria for the subject. This does not mean that you have to complete another degree.

It means you need to study the subject to degree-level by combining modules from a level 8 degree or completing a level 9 postgraduate diploma ensuring that you study:

    • the required amount of ECTS credits in the subject (varies between 60 - 90 ECTS credits) 
    • the required areas in the subject as outlined in our curricular subject requirements
    • a specific methodology in the subject if it has been specified as a requirement. 

If you are interested in adding an additional subject you should firstly contact the relevant department in a Higher Education Institute (HEI) and ask them about your options for studying a subject to degree level as an occasional/full-time student.

Can the Council prioritise my application?

The Council will prioritise an application where a teacher is in employment in a position where they cannot be paid without being registered with the Council.  This must be confirmed by submitting a recent payslip or an email from the school principal.

What is a 'certified copy' of a document? 

The Council will only accept certified copies of identification and qualification documents. 

A certified copy is a photocopy which has been certified (signed, stamped and dated) by a registered teacher with the Teaching Council or the following persons may also certify documents: a member of An Garda Síochána (Police), a Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths, or a Peace Commissioner.

When should I expect to receive an update on my application?

The average handling time is 6 - 8 weeks (qualified within Ireland), and 8 - 12 weeks (qualified outside of Ireland) from receipt of all required documentation

 The Council will update you during the application process. We will acknowledge receipt of your application, liaise with you until all documentation has been received and confirm the process has been finalised.

Please note that submitting all of the required documentation with your application form significantly speeds up the process. We highly recommend that you complete the checklist on the back of the application form.