The Teaching Council promotes professional standards in teaching in the interests of the public good. Professional standards also protect the reputation and status of the profession.
Since January 2014, registration with the Teaching Council is mandatory for any teacher paid by from State funds. Teachers benefit in many ways from registration with the Council. For example:
- Registration provides teachers with statutory recognition of their professional status, and recognition and verification of their education and qualifications
- Through a Code of Professional Conduct, the Council provides teachers with clear professional guidance
- Fitness to Teach will protect the profession of teaching through the establishment of a formal complaints mechanism
- The Council provides support in the transition from college to classroom for newly qualified teachers, through induction and probation
- Registered teachers have free access to an online library
- The Council promotes and celebrates professionalism in teaching each year at FÉILTE, the festival of education in learning and teaching excellence.
In all of this work, teachers, through their representation on the Council will be afforded the opportunity to play an active part in setting the standards for their profession.