- Complete Stage 1 of the online vetting application through your My Registration account.
- You have 180 days to complete Stage 1. If you have not completed Stage 1 within 180 days, it will expire and you will have to begin the process again.
- Upload proof of identification documents.
If you lived outside of the Republic of Ireland for a cumulative period of 12 months or more after the age of 18, you must provide copy of your police clearance for each country.
The Teaching Council checks your application and proof of ID documents and submits your application to the National Vetting Bureau.
- You will receive an email from the National Vetting Bureau with a link to the online Vetting Application Form.
- You need to fill out the form and include all your addresses from birth to the present including all overseas addresses.
You have 30 days to complete the form from the date you receive it, but we ask you to do it as soon as possible.
If you lived in Northern Ireland, you will need to enter full postcodes (six characters) for each Northern Ireland address.
When the vetting is complete, you will receive two emails.
- The first email is from the National Vetting Bureau stating that your vetting disclosure has been issued to the Teaching Council.
- The second email is from the Teaching Council with a link to your vetting disclosure.
How to access your vetting disclosure
To access your vetting disclosure, you need to log in or create an account with Digitary to view your disclosure.
Please read our page on Digitary for more information.
How to share your vetting disclosure with an employer
You can share your disclosure with employers or potential employers online using Digitary. Just log in to your Digitary account and follow the instructions.
Tracking a Stage 1 vetting application with the Teaching Council?
Check the status of your Stage 1 vetting application via your My Registration account.
- Log in to your My Registration account.
- When you have successfully logged into your My Registration account, click into the VETTING tile/icon on screen.
- Refer to the ‘Current Vetting Application’ section.
Here you can check the status of Stage 1 of your vetting application.
Checking a Stage 2 vetting status with the National Vetting Bureau
Teachers who have recently applied for vetting
To check the status of your application, please log in to the National Vetting Bureau website.
You will need the vetting application number or application ID you received in an email from us when completing your application.
The Teaching Council recently issued notices to a large number of teachers to be re-vetted. Due to the number of applications, the turnaround time for applications may be longer than the normal five days.