There are two main requirements for registration with the Teaching Council –
- Evidence of character – including vetting (mandatory)
How to apply
Apply for registration online using My Registration. You can save your application and return to it later. You have three months from the date you start your application to complete and submit it.
If your application is not completed after three months, it will be deleted.
Everyone who works with children and vulnerable people is legally required to be vetted by the National Vetting Bureau. If you are a teacher, the Teaching Council administers vetting for you and assesses the vetting disclosure (result) to establish if a teacher can be registered.
Please read our vetting page.
Before you start an application online, please have the following information to hand:
- Photos or scans of academic transcript(s) of results for each year of your qualification(s). The final year transcript must include your overall result.
- Photos or scans of acceptable proof of ID and proof of address.
- Employment contact details.
- Employment history.
- Completed Fit and Proper Person assessment form.
Please read our Guidance notes on registration (PDF) before starting your application.
What qualifications you need to register under Route 4 - Other
In order to be eligible to register under Route 4 – Other, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Hold a special education teaching qualification obtained outside the State.
- Have previously been registered with the Teaching Council under Regulation Three or Route 4 Other.
Applicants who gain registration under this route can work in restricted school settings such as:
- Certain categories of special schools
- Certain classes in mainstream schools where Irish is not a curricular requirement
This qualification process is line with: