Change language to:

What ID document do I need to provide for vetting with the Teaching Council?

Along with your online Vetting Invitation Form, you must submit two ID documents:

  • One item from Group A,


  • One item from Group B

Group A: Proof of identity

Include one of the below

  • Current driving licence (preferred)
  • Current passport (any nationality)
  • Irish Public Services Card (accompanied by a copy of your birth certificate)

Group B: Proof of address

(Dated within six months)

Include one of the below

  • Utility bill – gas, electricity, landline or broadband only
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • College registration correspondence
  • Document received from a government agency

1. Group A documents – Proof of Identity

  • Your forename and surname should match with your proof of identification.
  • If you have changed your name, you must also submit a copy of one of the following:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce/separation decree
    • Deed poll
  • Please ensure that all details are clearly visible on the copies submitted.

2. Group B Documents – Proof of address

  • All documents must be dated within six months from when we receive it.
  • The address on your proof of address document must correspond with the address on your application for registration with the Teaching Council.

The following documents are not accepted as proof of address:

  • Insurance documents, including car, home, and health insurance documents
  • Mobile phone bills
  • Current driving licence
  • Teaching Council correspondence
  • Overseas police clearance document

If the document is not dated within six months or not correct, we will return your vetting application for correction. This may cause a delay to processing timelines.

Please return any corrected documents to


The ID Policy applies to all applications by teachers for vetting disclosures under the National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts, 2012 to 2016.