Applicants for registration
If you have spent a cumulative period of 12 months or more outside of the Republic of Ireland after the age of 18, you must submit a copy of your police clearance for each country where you lived.
These clearance certificates must cover the entire period of residence in each country.
If you are a registered teacher being vetted for employment or for registration renewal (re-vetting), you do not need to provide overseas police clearance.
If a satisfactory police or criminal records disclosure is not available, we reserve the right to seek a sworn declaration from you.
We will send you a Declaration Form in the following circumstances only:
- The relevant country is at war or experiencing political upheaval
- The Teaching Council is aware that police clearance can only be obtained by residents of the relevant country
- Was travelling through the country and had no fixed address
- Resided in the country for a period of less than six months
- Resided in the country more than 10 years ago
- Provided correspondence proving that police clearance cannot be obtained.