Change language to:

Applicants for registration

If you have spent a cumulative period of 12 months or more outside of the Republic of Ireland  after the age of 18, you must submit a copy of your police clearance for each country where you lived.

These clearance certificates must cover the entire period of residence in each country.

Registered teachers

If you are a registered teacher being vetted for employment or for registration renewal (re-vetting), you do not need to provide overseas police clearance.

Exceptional circumstances

If a satisfactory police or criminal records disclosure is not available, we reserve the right to seek a sworn declaration from you.

We will send you a Declaration Form in the following circumstances only:

  • The relevant country is at war or experiencing political upheaval
  • The Teaching Council is aware that police clearance can only be obtained by residents of the relevant country

The applicant:

  • Was travelling through the country and had no fixed address
  • Resided in the country for a period of less than six months
  • Resided in the country more than 10 years ago
  • Provided correspondence proving that police clearance cannot be obtained.