How to change your details on the Register of Teachers
As a registered teacher, you can edit the following personal information that is on the register though My Registration.
- PPS Number
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Employment details
- Communications updates (Opt In)
Keeping your contact details up to date
From time to time, we need to send you letters by registered post. We also use email and SMA to send you registration reminders. So, please keep all of your contact details up to date. If you are using a school or university email address and no longer have access to them, please add a personal email address to ensure that you receive your registration reminders.
You can also add an additional qualification to your registration (Level 6 or above on the National Framework of Qualification (NFQ)).
If you have completed additional studies to make up shortfalls, please submit evidence through My Conditions.
Adding an additional subject (post-primary)
Employment within schools to teach subjects is decided by each school. It is not a registration requirement to be recognised for additional subjects.
However, if you wish to have an additional curricular subject recorded on the register, you must show that you meet the criteria for the subject.
This does not mean that you have to complete another degree.
It means you need to study the subject to degree-level by combining modules from a level 8 degree or completing a level 9 postgraduate diploma. You must ensure that you study:
- The required amount of ECTS credits in the subject
- The required areas in the subject as outlined in our curricular subject requirements
- A specific methodology in the subject if it has been specified as a requirement.
Additional subject assessment
There are three stages to the assessment process:
- You must apply online (see below).
- Save the required documents you need as electronic files using relevant filenames, e.g., degree transcript.
- Submit the online application form, uploading the documentation and pay the registration fee.
- You can save your application and return to it later. You have three months from the date you start your application to complete and submit it.
- If your application is not completed after three months, it will be deleted.
- You will receive an acknowledgement email when your application has been submitted.
- If any documentation is missing, we will contact you.
- If you are applying to teach a curricular language subjects or Irish/Gaeilge, you must meet the requirement of Immersive Educational Experience (IEE).
- Apply online using My Registration and select the PPQA-02 option.
The application is decided by the Qualifications Panel (made up of Teaching Council members) or in certain circumstances, the Director of the Teaching Council.
If your qualifications meet the subject requirements, the subject will be added to your registration.
If there are significant differences between your qualifications and the subject requirements, a qualification shortfall will be identified. Any shortfall must be addressed before the subject will be added to your registration.
We will write to you by email with the decision.