There are two main requirements for registration with the Teaching Council –
- Evidence of character – including vetting (mandatory)
How to apply
Apply for registration online using My Registration. You can save your application and return to it later. You have three months from the date you start your application to complete and submit it.
If your application is not completed after three months, it will be deleted.
Before you start an application online, please have the following information to hand:
- Photos or scans of academic transcript. You may also need your module descriptors where transcripts are not sufficiently detailed
- Photos or scans of acceptable proof of ID and proof of address
- Employment contact details
- Employment history
- Completed Fit and Proper Person assessment form
Please read our guidance notes on registration (PDF) before starting your application.
Qualification requirements for Further Education teachers
To qualify as a Further Education teacher, you must have both 1 and 2 below.
1. An Honours Bachelor’s Degree at Level 8 or higher on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) which has a ECTS credit weighting of at least 180 credits
An Ordinary Bachelor’s Degree at Level 7 on the NFQ which has a ECTS credit weighting of at least 180 credits and either
- An appropriate additional qualification, or
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a workplace or instructional setting which is relevant to the qualification(s)
2. A Teaching Council accredited Further Education teacher education qualification (TEQ).
If you do not have a TEQ
If you have the required degree qualification but have not completed an accredited TEQ, you can be registered with a condition(s) for three years.
In this time, you must complete your TEQ.
This process for applying for registration for Further Education is line with: